Halloween is that magical time of year when we get to embrace our inner monsters, don elaborate costumes, and indulge in all things spooky and sweet. While every neighborhood might have its own charm during Halloween, some destinations take the holiday to a whole new level.
In 2023, Halloween enthusiasts are in for a treat as we explore the best destinations for Halloween – this eerie and enchanting holiday. Read on to find out our top picks and discover the best places to travel for Halloween both on your domestic and international trips. Wowfare is not only your trusted source of cheap flight deals, but also a reliable provider of essential travel hacks, guides, and inspirations.
Domestic Travel Destinations for Halloween 2023
As the spooky season approaches, it’s time to plan your Halloween adventures closer to home. Whether you’re seeking eerie haunted houses, pumpkin patches, or simply a charming autumn getaway, there are numerous domestic travel destinations in the US waiting to enchant and thrill you this Halloween season in 2023. Join us as we explore some of the most bewitching and enchanting places to celebrate Halloween right here in the USA.
Salem, Massachusetts – the very name sends shivers down your spine, doesn’t it? This place, notorious for its witch trials in the late 1600s, practically breathes Halloween. And guess what? In 2023, Salem is conjuring up an unforgettable experience that’ll leave even the most seasoned witches and wizards spellbound.
The entire month of October in Salem, Massachusetts, offers an unparalleled Halloween experience that’s bound to leave you exhilarated! If the mere thought of October gives you goosebumps, then prepare to let go of all inhibitions and succumb to the enchantment of Salem. So here are some of the most exciting events that are also family-friendly that you have to attend:
- Hocus Pocus at Ropes Mansion: Take a stroll to Ropes Mansion, also affectionately known as Allison’s house at 318 Essex Street. There, you’ll find the exterior adorned in a delightful style inspired by the classic Salem-based film, Hocus Pocus.
- The Good Witch of Salem: Join an array of exciting events where kids and their parents can get creative, including the Costume Parade which promises to be a blast! For a more intimate experience, consider booking an in-store adventure filled with a plethora of family-friendly activities that are sure to create cherished memories.
- Howl-o-ween Hypnosis Show!: Hypnosis can be a fascinating and therapeutic tool, and when combined with a Halloween theme, it can create a truly unforgettable experience. If you’re interested in learning more about hypnosis, attending a show like this will give you a great opportunity to achieve that. Join Mistress Yvette at 316 Essex Street to catch a glimpse of this magical event.
- Hollowed Harvest: Experience Salem’s exclusive Jack-O’-Lantern festival, the Hollowed Harvest: Wicked Labyrinth! This beloved fall tradition showcases hundreds of intricately carved Jack-O’-Lanterns in an all-ages walkthrough event. New for 2023, enjoy an expanded exhibit and hands-on pumpkin carving to create your Halloween masterpiece!
- Halloween Night Live Music: Check out some of the local bars and clubs that host live music events. Some popular options include The Salem Willows, The Brew Pub, and The Finz Seafood & Grill. These venues often feature live bands and DJs playing Halloween-themed music to get you in the spooky spirit.
- Guilty! A Salem Witch Trial: Travel back to the year 1692 in Salem, where you’ll find yourself on trial for witchcraft! Listen to the compelling testimonies against you and make your case in this immersive experience. The burning question: will you be declared guilty? Catch it at 6:15 pm and 7:15 pm, and consider combo tickets with the Gallows Hill Main Show for the full experience!
- Halloween Finale Fireworks: Wrap up your Salem Haunted Happenings with a bang as fireworks light up the night over the North River! Please note that the festivities conclude after the fireworks show, so make sure to schedule your departure for 10:30 pm, as Salem’s streets will be cleared at that time.
New Orleans, Louisiana
New Orleans, famous for its vibrant culture and mystique, takes Halloween to the next level with its unique blend of voodoo and southern charm. The French Quarter becomes an otherworldly spectacle with its elaborate costumes, parades, and spooky-themed parties. Check out these events and attractions in New Orleans during the Halloween season to catch city’s true spirit:
- Krewe of Boo Parade: The Krewe of Boo Parade is a beloved and family-friendly Halloween event that draws large crowds. It features creatively themed floats, lively music, and an abundance of throws and candies. This parade is a favorite among locals and visitors alike.
- Ghost and Vampire Tours: New Orleans is renowned for its haunted history, and ghost and vampire tours are among the most popular Halloween activities. Tourists flock to explore the city’s eerie past and learn about its supernatural legends, making these tours a must-do for many.
- Voodoo Experiences: Immerse yourself in the world of voodoo with visits to voodoo shops and experiences. Learn about the history and practices of voodoo from knowledgeable practitioners, and explore the mystical artifacts and potions associated with this unique spiritual tradition.
- Haunted Attractions: New Orleans offers a range of haunted houses and spooky attractions during Halloween season. From the Mortuary Haunted Mansion to the House of Shock, there are plenty of opportunities to experience thrilling scares.
- French Quarter Costume Parties: The French Quarter comes alive with vibrant costume parties and themed celebrations during Halloween season. Explore the lively bars, clubs, and venues hosting costume contests and live music events, and immerse yourself in the festive atmosphere.
Los Angeles, California
Los Angeles, often called the City of Angels, hosts an electrifying Halloween season that caters to everyone’s spooky desires. As October rolls in, the city springs to life with spine-tingling haunted attractions and offers family-friendly options like pumpkin patches and corn mazes.
From thrilling haunted experiences to heartwarming fall festivities, Los Angeles knows how to throw a Halloween bash. Now let’s dive in and explore the vibrant Halloween scene in this dynamic city. Join us as we take a closer look at the diverse ways Angelenos celebrate this bewitching season.
- Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights, where the theme park transforms into a haunted wonderland. Guests can navigate terrifying mazes, brave scare zones, and catch live shows inspired by iconic horror movies and TV series.
- Mr. Bones Pumpkin Patch, located in Culver City, provides a festive atmosphere with rows of pumpkins to choose from, a petting zoo for the kids, pony rides, and a whimsical straw maze.
- A bit further out, the Underwood Family Farms Fall Harvest Festival offers a delightful countryside escape. Families can get lost in a corn maze, pick their perfect pumpkins, enjoy tractor rides, and partake in seasonal activities for all ages.
- West Hollywood Halloween Carnaval is one of the city’s standout celebrations. This massive street party in West Hollywood draws revelers from all over with its epic costume contests, live entertainment, food vendors, and an electrifying atmosphere.
- For a more laid-back but equally entertaining experience, consider attending Halloween Horror Nights at Griffith Park. Here, you can enjoy outdoor movie screenings amidst the enchanting ambiance of Griffith Park. The lineup often includes classic horror films, allowing you to revel in the spooky season under the stars.
International Travel Destinations to Visit During Halloween
Picture this: around the globe, places are gearing up in their spookiest finery, ready to give you a Halloween experience like you’ve never had before. We’re talking ancient customs, over-the-top festivals, and a chance to explore some seriously captivating and eerie international destinations in 2023.
So, are you in for a spine-tingling journey this Halloween? Continue reading and find out what countries celebrate Halloween around the world.
In recent years, Halloween has been gaining popularity in Tokyo, and 2023 is expected to be no different. Tokyo, a city known for its vibrant blend of modernity and tradition, takes on a captivating and unique atmosphere during the Halloween season. While not a traditional Japanese holiday, Halloween has gained popularity in Tokyo, with locals and visitors alike embracing the festivities.
From lively parades and costume parties to spooky-themed attractions and cultural experiences, Tokyo offers a dynamic and unforgettable Halloween experience. Here are five attractions to visit and things to do in Tokyo during this festive season:
- Shibuya Halloween Street Party: Join the electrifying Shibuya Halloween Street Party, where thousands of revelers dressed in creative costumes gather at Shibuya Crossing, one of Tokyo’s iconic locations. Experience the city’s most famous scramble crossing transform into a vibrant sea of Halloween spirit.
- Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea Halloween Events: Embrace the magic of Halloween at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, where both parks host enchanting Halloween events. Enjoy special parades, character meet-and-greets, and the parks’ signature attractions with a spooky twist.
- Odaiba VenusFort Halloween: Head to the VenusFort shopping mall in Odaiba, where the annual Halloween celebration features elaborate decorations, themed photo spots, and a variety of Halloween-themed events and activities. It’s a family-friendly destination to get into the Halloween spirit.
- Halloween Themed Cafes and Restaurants: Tokyo’s eclectic dining scene gets a spooky makeover during Halloween season. Visit themed cafes and restaurants where you can enjoy Halloween-inspired menus and decorations. The Koupenchan Penguin themed treats can be fount at The Guest Cafe & Diner, Shinsaibashi, Osaka, and is a must-visit for a uniquely colorful and cutely creepy dining experience.
- Haunted Attractions: For those seeking thrills and chills, Tokyo offers a range of haunted attractions during Halloween. One notable option is the Asakusa Culture and Tourist Information Center Haunted House, where you can navigate through spooky corridors and encounter spine-tingling surprises.
Edinburgh, steeped in history and known for its eerie tales and Gothic architecture, takes on an enchanting and haunting atmosphere during the Halloween season. The city’s ancient streets, haunted history, and mystical charm come alive as darkness falls and Halloween approaches.
From spine-tingling ghost tours and eerie castle visits to lively festivals and mysterious underground vaults, Edinburgh offers a captivating and memorable Halloween experience. Here are five attractions to visit and things to do in Edinburgh during this chillingly delightful season:
- Edinburgh Dungeon: Descend into the depths of the Edinburgh Dungeon, where you’ll encounter live actors, special effects, and immersive storytelling that brings the city’s dark history to life. Prepare to be thrilled and terrified as you journey through Edinburgh’s darkest secrets.
- The Royal Mile Ghost Tours: Embark on a journey through Edinburgh’s haunted past with a guided Royal Mile Ghost Tour. These tours take you along the historic Royal Mile, where costumed guides share chilling stories of ghosts, murders, and supernatural encounters that have occurred over the centuries.
- Halloween Festivals: Edinburgh hosts various Halloween festivals and events throughout the season. One notable event is the Samhuinn Fire Festival, which celebrates the Celtic festival of Samhain with fiery processions, drumming, and mystical performances.
- Edinburgh Castle After Dark: Experience the iconic Edinburgh Castle in a whole new light with special evening tours during the Halloween season. Explore the castle’s dark corners, hear tales of its ghostly residents, and enjoy panoramic views of the city at night.
- Underground Vaults Tours: Delve beneath the city’s streets with a visit to the Edinburgh Vaults, a network of underground chambers that once housed Edinburgh’s poorest residents and served as a haunted backdrop for many tales. Take a guided tour to learn about their eerie history and paranormal encounters.
Prague, Czech Republic
Prague, with its medieval charm, Gothic architecture, and mysterious alleyways, provides an enchanting backdrop for Halloween festivities. As the autumn chill descends upon the city, Prague’s rich history and eerie legends come to life during the Halloween season.
From spooky ghost tours and haunted castle visits to vibrant costume parties and themed festivals, Prague offers a bewitching and unforgettable Halloween experience. Here are five attractions to visit and things to do in Prague during this hauntingly atmospheric season:
- Prague Castle by Night: Explore the historic Prague Castle after dark on a guided tour. As the sun sets, the castle’s ancient walls and courtyards take on an otherworldly ambiance. Learn about the castle’s rich history, legends, and the tales of its ghostly inhabitants.
- Halloween Pub Crawls: Join a Halloween-themed pub crawl and revel in the vibrant nightlife of Prague. Dress in your spookiest costume and hop from one haunted pub to another, enjoying drinks, music, and the company of fellow Halloween enthusiasts.
- Ghost and Legends Tours: Delve into Prague’s dark and mysterious past with a Ghost and Legends Tour. Explore the city’s haunted corners, eerie alleyways, and hear spine-tingling tales of restless spirits and unsolved mysteries that have left their mark on the city.
- Medieval Banquets: Experience a taste of medieval Prague with a Halloween-themed medieval banquet. Feast on hearty dishes, enjoy live entertainment, and embrace the medieval ambiance at venues like the Medieval Tavern, U Pavouka (At the Spider).
- Halloween Festivals and Parties: Keep an eye out for Halloween festivals and costume parties happening throughout Prague. Many clubs, bars, and venues host lively events featuring DJs, live music, and costume contests where you can showcase your creative and spooky attire.
It’s Time to Travel for Halloween
Halloween is a time to let your imagination run wild, embrace the spooky, and celebrate the supernatural. These destinations offer a wide range of experiences, from historical and eerie to vibrant and imaginative.
Whether you’re drawn to the ghostly streets of Salem, the enchanting celebrations in New Orleans, or the gothic allure of Prague, Halloween 2023 promises unforgettable memories and the chance to connect with fellow Halloween enthusiasts from around the world.
You might already know where to travel for Halloween, so, pack your best costume and get ready to make this Halloween a hauntingly good time! And don’t forget to let Wowfare handle all travel preparations to make your experience even more magical and convenient!