CAIRO (AP) — In a major step toward restoring normalcy, a domestic passenger flight landed at Khartoum International Airport on Wednesday for the first time since war broke out more than two years ago. The event marks a possible turning point in the gradual reopening of air traffic across Sudan.
First Flight in Two Years Touches Down in Khartoum
Sudan’s Ministry of Media and Culture confirmed that a Badr Airlines flight from Port Sudan successfully landed at the capital’s main airport.
The facility had previously received several military flights earlier this year, including those carrying Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, Sudan’s military leader.
In March, the Sudanese army reclaimed Khartoum International Airport from the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) — the powerful paramilitary group that has been at war with the military since April 2023.
Ongoing Conflict Between Military and RSF
The civil conflict erupted when tensions between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the RSF escalated into open warfare. Although the army now controls most of Khartoum, the RSF continues to dominate large portions of the Darfur region and other western territories.
According to the World Health Organization, the fighting has killed at least 40,000 people and displaced around 12 million. Meanwhile, the United Nations reports that over 24 million Sudanese are facing acute food insecurity, making it one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
RSF Drone Attack Ahead of Airport Reopening
Just a day before the airport reopened, the RSF launched drone attacks targeting the area early Tuesday morning.
An official Sudanese army statement said that the military intercepted the drones before they could reach their targets.
Later that night, RSF leader Mohammad Hamdan Daglo Mousa, widely known as Hemedti, issued a video statement threatening to continue attacking the airport and any aircraft associated with the Sudanese military or its allies.
“Any airplane that takes off from any neighboring country, any airplane that is dropping supplies, bombing or killing, any drone that takes off from any airport will be a legitimate target for us,”
— RSF leader Hemedti
Army Leader Burhan Vows to Protect Citizens
Before the airport reopened, Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan toured the facility on Tuesday and pledged to protect civilians from RSF attacks.
The Sudan Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) confirmed via the Sudan News Agency that domestic flights were cleared to resume operations on Wednesday after completing all operational and technical safety checks.
“This reopening represents a step toward restoring normal domestic travel for Sudanese citizens,” the authority said.
It remains unclear how many airlines will resume service to Khartoum, as the situation on the ground remains volatile.
Humanitarian Context: A Nation in Crisis
The reopening of Khartoum’s airport could provide limited relief for citizens who have been cut off from essential services and transportation since the conflict began.
However, humanitarian agencies warn that continued fighting, displacement, and food shortages are pushing Sudan toward a catastrophic phase.
Despite the army’s symbolic victory in reopening airspace, security threats remain, with the RSF still maintaining control over key regions in western Sudan.
A Small Step Toward Reconnection
For many Sudanese, the Badr Airlines flight represents more than a transportation milestone — it’s a symbol of resilience in the face of prolonged war.
Still, with both factions entrenched in their positions and civilian suffering mounting, true peace and stability remain distant goals.




